About Victoria Carlton
Victoria Carlton, is the director of THE INTERNATIONAL CENTRE FOR EXCELLENCE, and extensively uses JOLLY PHONICS plus her own CREAM method to help Australian and Asian children improve and succeed at literacy skills.
She is an international educator with over 35 years of teaching experience at all levels, specialising in literacy education, emotional intelligence, teaching children with learning difficulties and providing challenge programs for gifted and talented children.
Teachers and school leaders are attracted to her pragmatic and clear approach. She has designed programs which marry the theory and practice of teaching and address the needs for the whole school community. She has also written many children books & teaching resources. Victoria has also been featured in the Sunday Times and interviewed for TODAY TONIGHT (Channel 7), Australia. In Singapore in July 2012, she was interviewed on 938live. Listen to this interview on the home page of www.september21.com.sg.
- Jolly Phonics is proven to help children perform at a level at least 1 year ahead of their academic year level.
- Jolly Phonics' reading skills will give your children an appreciation of quality literature, increase comprehension & fluency & lead children to a life-long love of reading!
- We use Jolly Phonics and Jolly Grammar
This is not a "one size fits all" approach. It is a “boutique” approach to tuition, developed over many years of teaching, observations and research by Victoria Carlton. Her methods have been used with great success in Australia for over 20 years and we are now able to offer this engaging, successful program in Singapore, Brunei and China.
Orange: Bilbies 3-4 years olds
- Fine motor control: lacing sounds to pictures, simple jigsaws, pre-writing exercises, phonics colouring
- Eye muscle movements: left to right, lazy 8s, tracking and catching balls
- Gross motor exercises: jumping, hopping, balancing, galloping, skipping
- Brain Stimulation exercises to increase concentration and retention
- Phonemic and phonological awareness level 1: rhyming, alphabet, Jolly Phonics sounds, Jolly Songs, Jolly Phonics DVD, Jolly Phonics Whiteboard program Stage 1, matching letters, pictures and key words games.
- Oral language: pronunciation exercises, using puppets to initiate expressive speech, discuss picture books, picture talks, making up class narratives.
- Literature: listening and responding to stories level 1, comprehension, creativeresponses and thinking skills centred on chosen books. Retelling simple plots, acting out stories using simple props.
Yellow: Koalas 4-5 years olds
- Fine motor control: learning letter formations and correct pencil hold
- Gross motor exercises using midline skills
- Brain Stimulation exercises for concentration and retention.
- Phonemic and phonological awareness level 2: rhyming, Jolly Phonics sounds, consonant blends, word families, sight words, Jolly Phonics DVD, Jolly Jingles, Alphabet Zoo, Jolly Phonics games level 1, Jolly Phonics Whiteboard Program stage 2, Jolly Phonics blending games, counting sounds exercises, decoding and choosing correct sentences for pictures. Jolly Phonics word lists-first half. Writing Dictation words - group 1.
- Oral Language: pronunciation exercises, puppets to initiate expressive speech and characterisation, making up nonsense rhymes, restructuring nursery rhymes, Barrier games to encourage precise language and careful listening and telling news.
- Literature: listening and responding to stories, comprehension, creative responses and thinking skills centred on chosen literature. Retelling simple plots, acting out stories using simple stories, discussing characters and their motives, imagining different endings, encouraging flexible thinking skills through the use of carefully worded questions designed to lead children to inferential levels of thinking.
- Picture talks with sentence writing.
Green: Bandicoots 5-6 years olds
- Fine Motor control : revise letter formations, correct pencil hold
- Gross Motor: Auditory memory games using gross motor movements
- Brain Stimulation exercises
- Phonemic and phonological awareness level 3: revise all Jolly Phonics sounds, consonant blends, extend knowledge of word families and sight words. Long and short vowels, syllables, Jolly Phonics Whiteboard Program stage 2, Jolly Phonics word lists, dictation words
- Introduction to JOLLY DICTIONARY
- Oral Language: pronunciation exercises, Jolly Jingles, barrier games to encourage precise language and careful listening, telling news.
- Literature: listening and responding to stories level 3, comprehension, creative responses and thinking skills centred on chosen literature. Discussing settings, characters, retelling simple plots, acting out stories using simple reader’s theatre. Encouraging divergent thinking skills through the use of careful, open questioning techniques.
- Creative writing exercises to help children write interesting, cohesive sentences.
Blue: Echidnas 6-7 years olds
The overall aim of this level is to ensure the first year of Primary school is successful and that children develop a real love and interest in English.
Attendance at this level will improve reading fluency, build comprehension, confidence in oral skills and ensure writing skills will be at a high level.
- Phonological knowledge is revised and expanded: -single sounds, short and long vowels and digraphs.
- Sight words are revised and expanded.
- Alphabetical order and dictionary work to expand vocabulary.
- Grammar knowledge is built up: parts of speech such as proper nouns, nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions and conjunctions.
- Spelling rules and punctuation conventions will be taught and reinforced.
- Reading non-fiction books about such subjects as nature, space and the community.
- Traditional tales like King Midas and Hansel and Gretel are read as these old tales have deep moral messages for all of us.
- Sense of responsibility and citizenship is built by reading about taking care of ourselves and our community and environment.
- Children learn to brain-storm, mind-map and plan for various writing types.
- Some viewing opportunities are offered so children start to begin inter-textual comprehension
- Comprehension of varied texts will be deepened and extended.
- Visualisations are given to help children stay positive and to enrich their imaginations.
- Children are taught how to write in different genres including narrative, persuasive writing, simple reports and procedures.
- Children will learn to write creatively and be able to access their imaginations while writing.
- Improving sentence structure will be a focus of this level.
- Thinking skills will be stimulated by the use of carefully constructed questions and teaching children to use Edward De Bono’s Thinking Hats.
Reasons why Victoria Carlton Programs are so powerful for learning
- It uses The Jolly Phonics program which is the best literacy programme available as it is evidence based and research has shown that children who undergo this programme have a reading age that is 1 year ahead of their peers.
- Each lesson involve phonics/ handwriting/ spelling/ reading/ comprehension with appropriate worksheets, but done in a child-friendly way so that they come to love learning and look forward to coming back for more.
- There is a vital oral/discussion time where children deepen their comprehension by asking or answering questions.
- Programs stimulate each one of the 8 intelligences. The creative time is linked to literacy and stimulates the visual spatial intelligence.
- Lessons also incorporate EQ strategies (VC’s own research- based program) to improve children’s motivation, raise self-esteem and manage stress and feelings effectively as well as brain stimulation exercises to accelerate learning.
- The program is specially designed to prepare children for Primary education and the JOLLY GRAMMAR helps them to write and understand grammar parts and how English sentences work.
- It is very much an academic outcomes based and will enhance all children’s development!
- You have access to literacy experts in Perth if any children have any problems or need specific extension.
- This is boutique-type program –aims to have ALL CHILDREN WORKING WELL AHEAD OF GRADE LEVEL.
- It is written by an Australian education specialist who has used these methods for over 25 years with resounding success, trains teachers in Australia, Singapore and other part of Asia to use these methods, has been helping Singapore schools, institutions such as MOE, AECES, NTUC, PCF & other instituitions for around 15 years.
- Victoria has written and researched her own teaching model: CREAM and insists all the CREAM elements need to be present for effective, quality teaching to take place.
- Many teachers in Australia and Singapore send their own children because they KNOW they will get the evidence based results.